Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:44:51 -0500
From:      John De Boskey <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Arch List <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftpd ESTALE recovery patch

----- David O'Brien's Original Message -----
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 08:41:53AM -0800, John De Boskey wrote:
> >    In a busy cluster, a generated file being handed out by
> > ftp is failing due to an ESTALE condition. The following
> > patch fixes the problem. Failure to open the file is also
> > logged when -l is specified twice (see ftpd(8)).
>
> This really does seem like a specific problem of your environment; and
> this patch is something that really only scratches an itch of yours due
> to how you've setup your environment.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. ESTALE is an errno that indicates
that an application can retry an operation with success.

> It sounds like you need to copy the generated file to a place it will
> remain thru out the ftp session.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. The target
file to be transfered has already been stored in it's permanent
location. However, it takes a small finite amount of time for NFS
to propogate the information for the (new/replaced) file. Our
clusters are able to attempt access during that short time at
which point the process fails without the patch.

> I do not think the patch should go in.  And why `3' tries?  Why not `10',
> etc.

If you can provide a better loop/timeout mechanism, I will be glad
to review and incorporate it.

Thanks!
John

http://people.freebsd.org/~jwd/ftpd.estale.patch