Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:34:45 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Marko Schuetz <marko@king.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Setting the correct locale (was: Fxtv no longer works for me.)

Dag-Erling> Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com> writes:
>> hope.winternet.com$ fxtv
>> Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
>> open("/dev/bktr0") failed: Device not configured

Dag-Erling> This (i.e. that second line in the quote above) is a common problem
Dag-Erling> for non-American FreeBSD boxes, because /etc/profile just doesn't do
Dag-Erling> the Right Thing (tm).

Dag-Erling> The comments in /etc/profile suggest the following:

Dag-Erling> # Uncomment next two lines to activate Italian locale
Dag-Erling> # LANG=it_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LANG
Dag-Erling> # MM_CHARSET=ISO-8859-1; export MM_CHARSET

Dag-Erling> But this is not enough; it doesn't set the locale correctly for most X
Dag-Erling> software (e.g. Emacs) or even Perl 5. In fact, I'm not even sure it
Dag-Erling> makes *any* sense at all; I don't know of any software that actually
Dag-Erling> uses $LANG and/or $MM_CHARSETš. IMHO the Right Thing (tm) to do
Dag-Erling> (according to e.g. 'man setlocale') is the following:

Dag-Erling> LC_ALL=it_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LC_ALL

Dag-Erling> This will stop Emacs, Perl 5 and a bunch of other apps from
Dag-Erling> complaining about an unsupported locale. All my FreeBSD boxes have a
Dag-Erling> similar line, and no LANG or MM_CHARSET, in their /etc/profile˛.

It's a bit off topic, but there is another problem regarding locale
and Emacs (19.34b) that I saw: setting LC_ALL can make ls output month
names which dired cannot parse. I have not verified that this problem
persists in 20.x. Maybe someone else has and would like to comment.

Marko