Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:17:58 +0100
From:      Jon Povey <spamfilter@sullen.demon.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proposed change for /etc/periodic/* scripts

Duncan Barclay wrote:
> On 23-Aug-99 Cillian Sharkey wrote:
> >
> > yes perhaps an /etc/periodic.conf would be good, to control the level
> > of verbosity and/or set options for each script ?
>
> I've hacked periodic here so that the scripts can be turned off with knobs in
> a periodic.conf file. This would simplify customizing new installitions - one
> no longer needs to add exit 0 to scripts.

how about changing the output format; the top of the emailed report  could
contain a digest saying "everything's okay" for those who didn't want to
read through the whole thing, then the rest of the report could have the
usual verbose information.

Then the digest could be made Even More concise, having brief lines like
"disk free space changed" if it had, instead of the whole df output. then,
if you wanted to know what had happened, you look to the rest of the
email. if you want to ignore in certain notifications in the digest, you
can.

--
Jon Povey - spamfilter@sullen.demon.co.uk

"Doesn't all this crap just make you want to hurl?"
	- Netscape example app-defaults