Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:40:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

> Looking more at our make world methodology, I'm wondering at
> stuff like this:
>
> # lib-tools - build tools to compile and install the libraries.
> #
> lib-tools:
> 	cd ${.CURDIR}/usr.bin/tsort && \
> 		${MAKE} ${MK_FLAGS} all install ${CLEANDIR} ${OBJDIR}
> 	...                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I know that one can turn this off by whacking CLEANDIR, but why even
> do this at all for the intermediate build targets?  We build the
> miscellaneous build tools, the compiler tools and all the core
> libraries only to throw away the results of all that work so that we
> can come around and do it all over again when it comes time to make it
> all from the top.  I've looked at all the ordering issues with this
> and I still can't see the logic of it.  Anyone in opposition to simply
>
> 					Jordan

Keeping in mind that install is before ${CLEANDIR},  I believe the idea
is to remake the tools _with_the_new_tools_ before using them to remake
other things. i.e if you upgraded to gcc2.7.2 then first make gcc2.7.2
with your old gcc, then remake it with the new one.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons