Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 22:43:38 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Chris Galloway <chris@mountainmax.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moved Kernel..... Can't Boot...... HELP!

[please set your mail client to wrap lines at ~76 characters]

Chris Galloway wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 2.2.8 and I have moved "kernel.old",
> "kernel.GENERIC", and "kernel.save" .....

Where to?

> Now I can't get the box to boot? I thought "kernel" was the only
> (kernel) files that the system booted from?

Normally it is, unless you've told it to do otherwise (e.g. by specifying
a different kernel in /boot.config.)

You say you've left "kernel" in place, what errors do you get trying to
boot that? What files are shown if you type "?" at the boot prompt?

> Does anybody have any idea's what I should do?

If the kernel is still on the root file system, I think you can just
specify the path to it, e.g. "/foo/bar/kernel.save", at the boot prompt.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk