Date:      Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:37:00 -0400
From:      "Jason Coene" <jcoene@gotfrag.com>
To:        <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TCP Transfers slowing down

Hi All,

I have a strange problem.  We recently upgraded 6 web servers from FreeBSD
5.2-RELEASE to 5.4-RELEASE.

Before the update, the servers would sustain high transfer rates (well over
4 Mbyte/sec), but since the update that has changed.  A transfer will start
out at normal speed (as high as we've ever seen), but it will immediately
and consistently drop to between 200 and 300 KByte/sec.  It will stay
constant at that speed for the duration of the connection.

It's not only Apache that does this, the built-in FTPD does it as well.

The machines are connected via 10/100 Full duplex (forced at switch and NIC)
to a Cisco switch that has a direct 1Gbps fibre uplink - none of this has
changed since the upgrade.

Kernel is a renamed GENERIC+SMP.  The problem occurs on both our Single CPU
P4 machines as well as our Dual Xeon machines.  All using fxp0 as the
external interface.  I've attached a sample dmesg.

I'm at a loss as to how this could happen with no configuration or
infrastructure change, hopefully someone here has knowledge of what might be
causing the problem!

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. My apologies if you receive this twice, I tried sending two days ago
but I don't believe it went through.