Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 18:44:11 -0500
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd.arch@clogic.com.ua, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

On Dec 11, 2017, at 2:59 PM, Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> wrote:

> +1 for deprecating this from base and giving people the choice to `pkg ins=
tall
> sendmail`.  For everyone else deploying large numbers of systems, this is
> tedious to rip out and yet-another-thing to explain as a requirement when
> operationalizing FreeBSD for production workloads.

I do tend to agree with rgrimes, when -base is pkg-ized, folks will have a c=
hance to 'pkg install' or 'pkg remove' sendmail or anything else regardless o=
f whether it is in -base or -ports.  The question should be, where do we wan=
t to maintain it?  (There's also the history that exists in base that gets d=
isconnected when it's in ports.)

-base is a set of packages that we deem more important than ports.  Does sen=
dmail, as it is exists and configured in -base, pass muster for being someth=
ing that we consider important enough to warrant being in base?  I think thi=
s is more of the question to ask than "why can't they install it from ports?=
"  Consensus seems to indicate no, but that we need some mail delivery agent=
.

I also think it should be incumbent on whomever removes something from -base=
 to make a port of it.  I don't think we should just throw it over the fence=
 and expect the ports team to do the work, unless they volunteer for it.

--
DE=