Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:27:05 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Steve Clark <darkstar@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Create newbie site?

On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 01:26:28PM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 08:49:17PM -0500, Steve Clark wrote:
> > Hello everybody I am interested in building a complete newbie site to
> > help the average user and complete beginner to the step over into
> > FreeBSD. I am just wondering if the site would help and if it would be
> > used by the general public.

[SNIP]
> If a web site were a good idea (and I have reservations), it would need to
> be done by someone who knows and awful lot about FreeBSD and how to
> communicate with newbies, who has years of experience in both, and is
> generally acknowledged as having those attributes. Considering the amount of
> thankless work involved, I would be inclined to doubt the suitability of
> anyone who would be willing to take it on :-)

FWIW, myself and Chris Coleman are attacking something similar - simply an
alternative free source of info for FreeBSD newbies. Our approach is to
create an online book of sorts, with the possibility of it going to print
if there was an interested publisher. This probably will never happen,
and we'd only agree to it if we felt a book were "for the greater
good of FreeBSD"...

We've actually found that 95% of the feedback we receive (and we've literally
received more than one hundred responses) is excellent. There are some
people who prefer to rant and rave and claim that our explanations are
"wildly inaccurate" and beg that we "please stop for the good of the
community", who of course offer absolutely NO valuable input at all.
But these mails are few and far between. Overall people seem to be
accepting another information source quite positively, and we've
incorportated TONS of ideas from the community at large for the project.

I have countless mails from newbies in my INBOX thanking us for our
work, so I'd have to disagree that the work is "thankless". :-)
It can be quite rewarding actually!

So I'd say any resource you can offer to new users is a valid
resource. If you only help 10 people, there's nothing wrong with that,
and who knows - you may evolve a site into a monster "One Stop
FreeBSD Shop" with thousands of visitors!!

In short, if you've got good ideas and are willing to spend the time,
go for it!

If you want to help us out, or vice versa, check out:
http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/

or mail fbsdbook@vmunix.com

Good luck,
-Mark