Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:27:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@Mcs.Net>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rc.network - ipfw l 65535 | grep deny ?

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > 	That line is checking to determine whether the default rule is "deny"
> > or "accept." an important distinction if you're going to warn people
> > that IP services are disabled. :)
>
> yeah, but when I type
>
> ipfw l 65535
>
> in the command line (sh prompt) I'm getting an error
> about bad arguments and a 'usage' message.
> Am I using the wrong ipfw or what's wrong here?

Yes you're using the wrong ipfw.  Try using an ipfw of the same vintage
as the rc.network you're looking at:

etc/rc.network revision 1.16
date: 1998/02/07 04:56:56;  author: alex;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -3
Don't assume that IP services are disabled just because firewall_enable
is not set to YES in rc.conf.

sbin/ipfw/ipfw.c revision 1.51
date: 1998/01/07 02:23:04;  author: alex;  state: Exp;  lines: +72 -29
Support listing/showing specific rules supplied on the command line.

Alex