Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:33:39 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: locale question

On 1/24/00, 2:34:15 PM, "David C. Maple" <dmaple@series2000.com> wrote
regarding locale question:

> I just installed 3.4-Release from CD and am now getting two errors
> involving locale.

> >From perl I get:
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LC_ALL =3D (unset),
>         LC_CTYPE =3D "en_US",
>         LANG =3D (unset)
>     are supported and installed on your system.

> >From emacs I get:
> Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

> I am totally unfarmiliar with this, but I'm guessing I've got one
thing
> wrong that will fix both problems.  So, any help would be appreciated.=

Dear David C. Maple,

I include here my own working "experimental" examples: I run four
locales, each as a different user. These seem to behave
"satisfactorily"; however, I shall have to refine some more details.
You migh want to read perllocale(1) and setlocale(3) to begin with.

Enjoy !

# Us English locale configuration, in my ~/.tcshrc

setenv LC_ALL   en_US.ISO_8859-1
setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.ISO_8859-1
setenv LANG     en_US.ISO_8859-1
setenv MM_CHARSET ISO-8859-1

################################

# French locale configuration in another user's ~/.tcshrc

setenv LC_ALL   fr_FR.ISO_8859-1
setenv LC_CTYPE fr_FR.ISO_8859-1
setenv LANG     fr_FR.ISO_8859-1
setenv MM_CHARSET ISO-8859-1

################################

# German locale configuration in another user's ~/.tcshrc

setenv LC_ALL   de_DE.ISO_8859-1
setenv LC_CTYPE de_DE.ISO_8859-1
setenv LANG     de_DE.ISO_8859-1
setenv MM_CHARSET ISO-8859-1

# there's some stuff in the handbook related to the German locale.

################################

# Italian locale configuration in ~/.bash_profile,
# just for a change ;-)

LC_ALL=3Dit_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LC_ALL
LC_CTYPE=3Dit_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LC_CTYPE
LANG=3Dit_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LANG
MM_CHARSET=3DISO-8859-1; export MM_CHARSET

With these settings, and the corresponding settings in KDE, I have
found no locale errors -- so far.

HTH

N.B. my_fake_antispam_domain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

Best regards,
Salvo