Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:18:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        billf@chc-chimes.com (Bill Fumerola)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, kline@tao.thought.org, bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system

According to Bill Fumerola:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > That way the equivalent functionality will exist in the ports directory.
> > It'll just mean adding 'yet another' port to the system, which now is
> > pretty common for almost every installation.
>
> That would be true if /usr/ports/lang/g77 didn't already exist. It's
> BROKEN, but I'm sure someone with experience in the matter could get it
> working.

I would recommend removing lang/g77 completely.  The newest version
of g77 is at 0.5.23 with 0.5.24 in the pipeline.  g77-0.5.23 works
with gcc-2.8.1.  Our port is based on g77-0.5.19.1 which is the
last version to work with gcc-2.7.2.1.

If it is not politically correct to remove lang/g77, then change
the Makefile to point to egcs.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu