Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:47:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Fatal Trap 12 in various processes always at address 0x3030313a

--0-414534141-1251661661=:24691

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Richard Mahlerwein wrote:

> (Sorry, update to subject to be <something>)
>
> 3 weeks ago:
> I upgraded from 7.1-PRELEASE to -stable and all seemed fine
> until I rebooted out of single user mode after doing make
> installworld and mergemaster.=A0 At that point, near the
> end of the boot sequence I got a core dump, apparently
> triggered by devd.
>=20
> ****
> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
> cpu id =3D 0; apic id =3D 00
> fault virtual address =3D 0x3030313a
> fault code =3D supervisor write, page not present
> [snip]
> current process =3D 355 (devd)
> ****
>=20
> [snip]
> Does anyone have a further recommendation on what to do,
> try, test or change?

Firstly, please set up a dump partition by adding 'dumpdev=3D"AUTO"' to=20
your rc.conf.

Then, can you compile in the kernel debugger (options KGB / options DDB)=20
and when this happens again, please obtain a backtrace from the debugger=20
with the "bt" command.  Then, give the "show registers" command so that we=
=20
can establish which register is pointing to the odd address. Finally,=20
issue the "call doadump()" command to hopefully save a copy of the kernel=
=20
dump for later analysis.

Thanks,

Gavin