Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:41:30 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
To:        Tilman Linneweh <tilman@arved.de>
Cc:        <billf@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/38853: net/ethereal: configure fails

At Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:57:28 +0000 (UTC),
Tilman Linneweh wrote:
> A solution might be, to check if the library found is in the "compat"
> Directory. If that's true, the dependency-check should evaluate to false.

I don't think so.  "compat" directory by portupgrade is not official.
If you choose to move old libraries to compat directory at upgrading
stage, that's your choice.  We cannot specify all files (libraries,
include files) which other ports (like ethereal) depends on net-snmp4.

As a port maintainer of net-snmp*, I cannot help users if they move
only partial files (such as only libraries) to another location.

Shared libraries backup of portupgrade is useful feature, but not
perfect.  Users should use this feature at your own risk.

I think you should upgrade all dependency tree at this situation.

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.