Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2020 23:57:49 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: "directory not empty", "no such file or directory" errors on upgrade

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 13:03:27 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Upgrading from 11.2-RELEASE to 11.3-RELEASE
>
> The final invoke of freebsd-update install completed with the following
> messages:
>
> ///usr/src/sys/pc98/include/acpica_machdep.h  no such file or directory
> rmdir: ///usr/src/contrib/ofed/usr.lib        directory not empty
> rmdir: ///usr/src/contrib/ofed/usr.bin        directory not empty
> rmdir: ///usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/lldb/source/Plugins/InstrumentationRuntime/ThreadSanitizer   directory not empty
> rmdir: ///usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/lldb/source/Plugins/InstrumentationRuntime/AddressSanitizer  directory not empty
>
> The upgraded system has no
>    /usr/src/sys/pc98/  directory
>
> The files in
>    /usr/src/contrib/ofed/usr.lib
>    /usr/src/contrib/ofed/usr.bin
>    /usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/lldb/source/Plugins/InstrumentationRuntime/ThreadSanitizer
>    /usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/lldb/source/Plugins/InstrumentationRuntime/AddressSanitizer
>
> appear to be old versions left over from the original 11.2 install
>
> Hints on the proper way to fix this?

When I read such messages, the first thing that comes to mind
is filesystem inconsistency. Reboot into single-user mode and
run a forced (!) fsck on all file systems, maybe repeat it if
needed. You probably don't have

	background_fsck="NO"

in your /etc/rc.conf which in my opinion should be the default
setting (instead of YES). See "man 8 fsck" for further options
that might be needed.

Things like "directory not empty" can also be due to files that
haven't been removed. This is possible if the schg (immutable)
flag has been set for a file; use "chflags noschg <file>"; see
"man 1 chflags" for details.

First step: Always rule out the obvious. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany