Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:45:30 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Sat 2000-09-30 (23:37), Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
>

> > > Surely the same applies to FreeBSD itself?
> > >
> > > I find it very odd that ports get so much positive pressure from this
> > > list to restrict/fix/exclude them when there is a security issue, but
> > > try and get something done to core FreeBSD scripts/services etc., and
> > > you'll get shot down in flames... Bizarre...
> >
> > Can you give examples?
>
> I can give you an example: ipfilter in the FreeBSD.
> It still doesn't have a startup script in /etc/rc*
> And it's not because it doesn't exist - in fact there's conf/20202, but
> nothing is being done with it.
> I guess that one can think of some other examples.

I can't see how this was shot down.  Darren just doesn't seem to have
done anything about it.  Reply to the PR, and ask if he still intends to
do anything about it, and if he doesn't, then we can assign it to
someone else.

While it would be nice if developers regularly chased up things assigned
to other developers and left for a while, it's best for the originator
or stakeholders to actually _say_ something about it _in the PR_ and to
the relevant lists if things go by too long.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems