Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 16:40:30 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> I don't understand the inability to perform the trivial
> design engineering necessary to keep from needing to put
> 60,000 files in one directory.

Hear hear! ;) (Been waiting for that one)

> However, we can take it as a given that people who need
> to do this are incapable of doing computer science.

You can't make that assumption just yet (although it seems
reasonable). We really don't know exactly what the problem they are
trying to solve is. Network news sites running old versions of
software (as an example, I know someone who still runs CNEWS) have
very clear reasons for phenomena resembling 60,000 files in one
directory.

I would begin to question the assumption that seems to have been
unquestioned. Namely, why is the focus -just- on speed? FreeBSD
outperforms Linux on reliability and security as well. Not to mention
networking.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

We can never have enough of that which we really do not want.  --Eric Hoffer