Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 20:07:32 -0400
From:      Ben Compton <peabody@naxs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install Problems

At 02:11 PM 6/1/98 -0700, you wrote:

Thanks for responding to my post.  It's nice to know that help is always
just an e-mail away when it come to FreeBSD.  I tried what you suggested
and it is almost impossible to move the CD-ROM to the primary chain with my
exsisting config with out having to purchase another IDE cable and
additional mounting hardware.  The people at Dell make it real pain to move
things around inside the case (one of the IDE cables is about 1/2 the
length of what I have seen in the past).  What I can't figure out for the
life of me is why BSD will not work on my present config but RedHat Linux
detects EVERYTHING and installs flawlessly.  I'd happily kill my Linux
install in favor of a BSD install if I could make BSD run on my system as
is.  I hope you have another suggestion or two because I'm at the end of my
rope.

Oh by the way I found this really neat utility that allows you to boot from
different partitions using NT's OS Loader.  It allowed me to install RedHat
Linux on my slave HD and boot to it without using a bootdisk and without
making any changes to my master HD except for a little 512 file that it
places in the root directory on my master HD.  The program is called
bootpart and it can be found at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm

And if you are interested in more infor on the NT OS loader itself that can
be found at

http://www.windowscentral.com/features/howto/setup/

Thanks again for for your help.  Hopefully the info I gave you will be of
some help and hopefully you'll have another suggestion or two for me try.
Thanks.