Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:30:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an ISDN Router

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> yes, but for each problem they fixed, they added 2 more. :-)
>
> Seriously, avoid this unit like a case of ebola virus.
>
> > Last time the bitsurfr came up on this last it was to describe all the
> > problems with it. Has motorola fixed them?
> > thanks
> > ron

What's the best low-cost way to connect two FreeBSD boxes, then?  I'm
considering asking my supervisor for a perk rather than a pay raise, in
the form of upgrading my 28.8 dedicated link to the office to an ISDN
line, with a FreeBSD box on both ends.  It'd cost me $500/month to get
that from an ISP, but they can afford the bandwidth, so it would be purely
a matter of line cost ($40 a month on each end plus hardware).  Not that I
really need more bandwidth at home, but who doesn't want it?

Naturally, if the cost is $700+ on each end for ISDN routers, it isn't
going to happen.  Of course, at 115K async, it would only be a 50%
improvement over 64K, so I'd like to find a way to use all the bandwidth
as well, which the Bitsurfer pro will only do with a sync interface.