Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:40:18 -0700
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless FreeBSD

Luigi Rizzo writes:
 > Does anyone know *why* is it necessary to preallocate the swap ? I
 > believe it wasn't necessary back in 1.1 times.

This never surprise me, every diskless UNIX system I've seen
(primarily FreeBSD and SunOS) require you to pre-allocate swap space.

 > I am asking because I plan to support diskless for our lab (50+
 > systems, but very few of them are expected to be in use simultaneously),
 > and preallocating some 20MB of swap for each machine seems unnecessary
 > expensive.

Do yourself a favor and figure out some way to put a small swap disk
into your 'diskless' workstations.  Even Sun eventually figured out
that 'dataless' workstations worked *much* better than 'diskless.'
I.e. the system has a local boot, root, and swap device, and NFS
mounts all 'user' directories.

 > I am currently working on the netboot code, so I am open to suggestions.
 > I'd like to implement code to reset the swap file to size 0 before
 > transferring control to the kernel, or, if preallocation is really
 > necessary, I'd rather create a file with a unique big hole of
 > appropriate size, so that it does not occupy disk space when not
 > necessary.

It is necessary, because the swap code always expects to get the disk
sectors when it asks for them.  An allocation failure in swap is a
pretty heart-rending (well, system-rending) experience.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder