Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 15:04:41 -0500
From:      "Thomas F. Keefe" <keefe@cse.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   timeouts with adaptec 1742

I have been trying to get a Seagate ST32151N (Hawk 2-XL 2GB) to
work with an adaptec 1742. I have been ablet to install
FreeBSD to a Seagate ST3390 - 330 MB) drive.

During the commit step during the install, the system hangs
(the activity LED on the adaptec remains on) and after about
15sec. The message "Panic(adaptec 1742) for hisotical reasons" is
displayed and after a short delay, the system reboots.

The drive works fine (in the same system) using DOS 6.22 and
Windows 3.1. Initially, I had timeout problems there as well,
but after downloading the latest configuriation files from adaptec
the problem wen away. These configuration files allowed me
to set a specific IRQ (11) and to specify  edge trigerring.

Using EZ-SCSI I found that the drive doesnot support
SCSI-Linking (?) while the older drive does. Is this related
to tagged command queuing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Keefe