Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:31:23 -0700
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        Herminio Hernandez Jr <herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fan funning high on base system

Hi,

On Jul 12, 2015 8:17 AM, "Herminio Hernandez Jr" <
herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the base system installed on my iBook G4, but the fans are running
like crazy. During the install I selected the powerd service to control cpu
scaling, but I am not sure if it is working. It could since I am installing
the port for xorg I just to be sure that there is not another port I need
to install to manage cpu and fans on powerpc. Thanks!

> --
> Herminio Hernandez Jr <herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com>

The fans should be temperature controlled, which can be disabled through
the machdep.manage_fans sysctl. All temperatures and fan speeds can be seen
with sysctl as well. I think the iBook uses the adt746x, but you can just
grep for 'temp', 'pwm', and 'rpm' for the data, maybe a sensor is finding a
really high temperature. If you're building anything the temperature does
sound and the fans go nuts, but afterwards they should quiet down.

-Justin