Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:45:50 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley01.res.iastate.edu>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user-mode nfs daemon

>On Wednesday, 11th June 1997, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Joseph D. Orthoefer wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone ported the usermode nfs server from linux to freebsd?
>>
>>Why do you want this to work?  The kernel NFS server is probably a lot
>>more efficient.
>
>Ah, yes, but the user mode one would be so much easier to change.  No need
>for continuous build/reboot/login cycles.  Once you have a user mode NFS
>server, you can tweak it to be a compressed file system, a crypto file system,
>or even an ftp converter.  I think it would be cool to just do:

You don't want a user-mode nfs daemon, I believe you want the stackable fs
layers.  If you add compression, or encryption, or whatever, this would be
a much nicer solution.  I believe someone is working on porting the rest of
the Heidemann stuff including some sort of user mode nfslike daemon which
is useful for debugging layers..  This is something I would really like to
see done.

>$ cd /ftp/ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD
>$ ls -l
>$ more README
>
>I think a user mode NFS server could become a hotbed of interesting
>development.  All sorts of border-line-insane file system ideas could
>be explored with little danger to your kernel, and hence the rest of
>your file systems.  What was that recent thread about a "tar" file system?
>Could scotty be interfaced with an NFS server to produce a file system of
>SNMP data?  Could the DNS be similarly mapped?  A special exploded CVS
>view where every release tree and every file revision is available for
>instant examination with ls, more, diff, wc, or whatever.

Again, look at the Heidemann papers.. this is a much better starting point.

>All crazy, but kind of interesting.  Maybe some are even useful.

Definately..

Chris