Date:      23 Sep 2001 22:21:24 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        jason <kib@mediaone.net>, Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> When the Soviet Union was intact, and they were invading
> Afghanistan, Osama bin Laden was one of the leaders of the
> resistance (following being disowned by his family in Saudi
> Arabia, and his exile from that country -- he is a Saudi
> Arabian citizen, not an Afghani citizen).

*before* he was disowned and exiled.  He returned to Saudi Arabia in
the late eighties and worked in his family's construction business
until he fled (in 1989, I believe) to escape being arrested for
supporting and funding fundamentalist movements in other arab nations.

>                                            The U.S. supplied
> arms to these resistance groups in order to oppose the spread
> of Communism (the same reason that the U.S. involved itself
> in Vietnam, after the situation there fell apart on the
> French colonial failure).

The VC the US fought in Vietnam were not the same VC the French fought
when it was still called Indochina.  There was a change of leadership
and a significant shift in ideology between the two wars.

> Realize that if it comes down to the continued existance of our
> democracy, the U.S. will use all means at its disposal.

The US is not a democracy.  It is, at best, a parody of one - but
never mind that - even when (if ever) it worked as intended, it never
had much in common with a democracy save the name; the principles on
which US society and government were built are far closer to
technocracy or meritocracy than to democracy.  These days, though, it
looks more like an oligarchy or some kind of decentralized enlightened
monarchy.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org