Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:42:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au (George Scott)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: Crash advice needed (long) APPENDIX A

> > Debugger("aha1542") called		(this system has a 1540B)
> > AGAIN
> > aha0: MBO 02 and not 00 (free)
> > These last few lines repeat every ten seconds or so until I got
> > tired of looking at them and pressed RESET.
> >
> > (I have seen this MBO 02 and not 00 (free) message on a 1542C
> >  controller at work when it is talking to a WangDat tape drive.
> >  Sometimes this system also gets a "NO SENSE" message and
> >  will claim the tape drive is not ready (it is ready) or busy (it isn't).
> >  Solution on that system: turn everything off and back on and everyone
> >  is happy.  Unfortunately, cycling power does not improve things here.)
>
> I had this frequently under 2.1.0-RELEASE on a '486 with an AHA-1542CP (with
> the P stuff disabled).
>
> I had 5 drives on the external connector and 2 on the internal and noticed
> that the time outs stopped happening when I disconnected either the external
> or internal drives, so I figured bus length as the cause.  It was over 20'
> so I shortened it as much as I could (to 16' if I remember) but the problems
> still occured.

Apart from the fact that 20' is too long (3m max for fast-SCSI, 1542C is
a Fast capable controller that will try to use 10Mbytes/sec with a Fast
device) Adaptecs tend to work better if the controller is at the end of
the SCSI bus. So, either use the internal or external connector but not
both at the same time