Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:40:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP* Correction to previous postings.

> Okay, I'm confused, and I violated the dictum that one should never cvsup
> when confused by the e-mail traffic on stable.  I'm running on kernel.old as
> I type, and I need to find out how to do better.  I cvsupped everything this
> morning, adjusted etc files as indicated, made world, and made a new kernel.
> Now, every time I boot the new kernel, once it tries to mount everything from
> /etc/fstab it complains that the mounted root doesn't match.  Well,
>
> 1. I don't need no steenkin' slices.  Wd0 is "dangerously dedicated".

Please define "dangerously dedicated" in terms that mean something.

Specifically, you either have an "all disk slice", or you have an
"historically bogus slice entry".

In the first case, fdisk will show slice 1 covering the entire disk.
In the second case, fdisk will show slice 3 containing 50000 blocks
(24MB).

> 2. My kernel is built with "root on wd0a"

This is ignored.

> 3. I boot from the default, 0:wd(0,a).
>
> 4. /etc/fstab mounts /dev/wd0a as /.

If you updated mount(8) at the same time as your kernel, this wouldn't
matter.

> 6. Running disklabel wd0 produces:
>
>    # /dev/rwd0c:
>    type: ESDI
>    disk: wd1s1
>    label:
>    flags:
>    bytes/sector: 512
>    sectors/track: 63
>    tracks/cylinder: 255
>    sectors/cylinder: 16065
>    cylinders: 175
>    sectors/unit: 2822400
>    rpm: 3600
>    interleave: 1
>    trackskew: 0
>    cylinderskew: 0
>    headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
>    track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
>    drivedata: 0
>
>    8 partitions:
>    #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>      a:    65536        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 4*)
>      b:   217072    65536      swap                        # (Cyl.    4*- 17*)
>      c:  2822400        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
> 175*)
>      e:    61440   282608    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.   17*- 21*)
>      f:  2478352   344048    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.   21*-
> 175*)
>
>    The only strange thing here is that disklabel got the disk's identity
> wrong.

Which "identity"?  The disk type (ESDI is what you get for IDE disks)
or the 'disk:' field (which is almost certainly correct).

> So, as a "dangerously dedicated" kind of guy, what do I need to do in the
> brave new world of "Slices uber ales?"

Update mount.  Follow its recommentations.  You may find that you have
a sliced disk after all, in which case regardless of what you think you
want, what you have is what you have.