Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2015 19:40:59 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Chris Anderson <cva@pobox.com>
Cc:        stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libopie problems after upgrade to 10.2

On 08/15/2015 20:47, Chris Anderson wrote:
> just upgraded from 10.1-RELEASE-p16 to 10.2-RELEASE using freebsd-update.
>
> after the upgrade, I began getting errors because pam_opie.so.5 has an
> unsatisfied link to libopie.so.7 (my system only has libopie.so.8).
>
> I notice a fresh install of 10.2-RELEASE does indeed contain libopie.so.7,
> so I'm curious how I managed to get into this state in the first place and
> whether it is anything I should worry about. This machine has only been
> upgraded using freebsd-update and I'm pretty sure it started from
> 10.0-RELEASE.

I did the same update using freebsd-update and I do not have
libopie.so.8 that should not be in any 10.X-RELEASE.

libopie.so.8 was in stable/10 shortly after 10.0-RELEASE, but was set
back again to libopie.so.7 between 10.1-RC1 and 10.1-RELEASE:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.1/lib/libopie/Makefile?view=log&pathrev=273169

Your problem was probably not introduced during the 10.1-RELEASE to
10.2-RELEASE upgrade but earlier.

I have a system that had just about every BETA, RC, and RELEASE starting
from 9.0-RC1 using freebsd-update binary upgrades only, including some
BETA or RC of 10.1 with libopie.so.8... that system has only
libopie.so.7 now as it should have. Maybe you forgot the "removing of
old libraries" step of "freebsd-update install" after "freebsd-update
upgrade" around 10.1-RC3, because you did not expect it on a stable branch?

Cheers,
Jan Henrik