Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 21:06:28 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ch: warning: could not map element source addr... valid element type

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 21:04:52 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> But just as I was getting ready to leave the machine room, I glanced up
> at the console (which I had inadvertently left on), and I saw a large
> quantity fo messages like that in the Subject: -- e.g.
>
> /kernel: ch: warning: could not map element source address 256d to a
> valid element type
>
> (The address in question rotated among 256d, 512d, 768d, 1280d, 1536d,
> 1792d, and 1280d.  The changer in question has 7 slots.  More below.)

From what I can tell, this is exactly what it claims to be.  There is an
element in the changer that has a source address that doesn't map to
any slot, picker, driver or portal we know about.

> One of the things it does early on (for example) is issue "chio params"
> and "chio status" commands (and parse the results of same) in order to
> get a clue as to what the changer thinks its current configuration & status
> is.
>
> With that in mind, here are the results of the commands in question:
>
> eng-backup# chio params
> /dev/ch0: 7 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker
> /dev/ch0: current picker: 0
> eng-backup# chio status
> picker 0:
> slot 0: <ACCESS,FULL>
> slot 1: <ACCESS,FULL>
> slot 2: <ACCESS,FULL>
> slot 3: <ACCESS,FULL>
> slot 4: <ACCESS>
> slot 5: <ACCESS,FULL>
> slot 6: <ACCESS,FULL>
> drive 0: <ACCESS,FULL>
> eng-backup#
>

> The warning messages in question appear to be generated in coincidence
> with issuing the latter command ("chio params").  [Basis for this
> observation is watching a "tail -f /var/log/message" while issuing the
> above sequence of commands.]

[ ... ]

> ch0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> ch0: <ADIC FastStor DLT 0113> Removable Changer SCSI-2 device
> ch0: Serial Number ADIC910279414
> ch0: 3.300MB/s transfers
> ch0: 7 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker, 0 portals

Can you send the output of:

chio -IS

That should give us the internal identifiers claimed for each element, as
well as the source address, if any, for each element.  (We shouldn't see a
source element for the element in question, though, for the same reason
you're getting the warning.)

It may be that the changer is just saying that the source element in
question is valid, when it really isn't.  Hopefully the above command will
shed some more light on things.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry