Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:36:01 -0500
From:      "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Better News For Headless Installs

	I actually had some good things happen on the headless
install front. I had been trying to build a FreeBSD9.1 server
and nothing was working. Computer users who are blind need a way
in to the system and the preferred way to do that was to build a
headless installation disk which is precisely a copy of the ISO
image for the release one needs with a file named loader.conf
added to the boot/ directory of the disk.
	I had tried a memstick ISO image as this is much less
trouble to build.
	All one has to do is use mdconfig and mount to mount the
image on a FreeBSD system, then cd to your mount point/boot and
add a loader.conf file there. This updates the image since it
mounts RW. You can then copy the image using dd to a thumb drive
like:

#dd if=FreeBSD-9.3-RELEASE-headless-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sdc

Of course the target thumb drive may be at a different node on
your system but the command will have the same format.
	I then used a null-modem cable to connect a Debian
system equipped with speakup which is the screen reader that
comes with Debian and ubuntu. One also needs a terminal program
like c-kermit and then you set your terminal type to cons25.
	The system did come up talking via the serial port and
the installer mostly works quite well except for very busy
screens like the disk formatting program and the time zone setup
screen.

	The system is fighting a regular battle to keep from
working properly, but that's not due to the remote console.
	The only problem on busy screens is that the screen
reader gets confused and it is easy to sometimes select the
wrong heading and start doing the thing that was either above or
below where one needed to be. I may have neglected a swap
partition.The screen reader reports all kinds of spurious combinations
of the field you want plus unrelated stuff from any other drives on the
system. The curses weren't just in the OS today.

Martin