Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:11:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with the ATA-driver

> > Mentioning it in the manpage should be sufficient I guess. Blacklisting
> > devices sounds like a good idea if tey fail to work correctly in many
> > cases.
>
> The problem being how to get a list that is "good enough" for the
> majority of cases.

I'd like to see it the other way around: Make sure it works in all cases
and _then_ try to narrow down the bad cases. Being part of GENERIC
implies that it works in all cases, even if performance is lacking in
most cases. After all you won't be able to recompile a kernel that works
for you if you are not able to install FreeBSD in the first place.

Cheers,

Nick
--
n_hibma@webweaving.org