Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:02:50 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C style continued.... (Craig and Terry)

At 00:01 24-01-2001 +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>We should really found the Church of Beastie so people in such
>predicaments could argue that writing GPLed code was contrary to their
>religious beliefs...

All kidding aside, as a serious Buddhist I *do* find GPL essentially
contradicting my religious beliefs. One of our precepts is "do not take
what is not given to you." Forcing anyone who makes any changes to my
code to release them to me is against that precept. I can either
release my software as binary only, or release it with source code
under a BSD (or similar) license. But I cannot in good conscience
use GPL.

The Buddha also expressly prohibit his disciples from proselytizing,
while GPL is full of proselytizing.

I am not sure how seriously the teacher would take the claim the
student belongs to the Church of Beastie (even if technically he should),
but he would have no legal grounds against a student who told him he
was a Buddhist and said using GPL was against his religion.

I actually did once ask my Buddhist minister (who also happens to
be a programmer) what he thought of Stallman. He did not recognize
the name at first, but then I mentioned he was the guy who insisted
all software must be free. He shook his head in disaproval, then said
Stallman was naive. He also told me not to use GPL.

Come to think of it, even a Christian can easily argue against GPL
on religious grounds: The founder of Christianity said: "Worthy is
a worker of his pay" (or something very close to that, perhaps he said
"servant" rather than "worker", but the point is the same).

I would not be surprised if most major religions found GPL against
their basic principles if their teachers had a good understanding
of the real implications of GPL.

A student could discuss this with his minister, then tell the teacher
with clear conscience and firm legal grounds using GPL was against his
religion. At least in the US the teacher/school would have no option
but let the student use a more acceptable license.

Cheers,
Adam