Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:49:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.nws.net>
To:        jamie@itribe.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

> On 17 Feb 1999, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> > Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it> wrote:
>
> > > in an empty partition (and it get two , damn it because it
> > > doens't know that partitions can be sub-divided in slice for swap i.e.).
> >
> > Linux uses the standard PC partition model. FreeBSD treats standard
> > partitions as slices and creates its own partitions within. Different
> > approach, and the FreeBSD one is certainly harder to understand. (How do
> > {Net,Open}BSD/i386 handle this?)
>
> I'm curious why you make this claim?  It's no more difficult to understand
> than the dos users concept of an extended partition with multiple logical
> drives defined within it.
>
> Jamie Bowden

The difficulty is that Linux can be installed and run completely
out of EXTENDED Partitions (with no primary) and we can't (at least
couldn't in 2.x or 1.x).

DRAWBACK!!!

This means if there's Win95 and WinNT and OS/2 and an extended partiton
we CAN'T be installed, where Red Hat can. (Since there are bootloaders
that can be used to boot from an extended partition.)

This actually happened to me and forced me to reconfigure and and
another disk.

Bill
---
  Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a
  villain in a James Bond movie              -- Dennis Miller
  bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.nws.net|pechter@pechter.ddns.org