Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:51:37 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PQ_LARGECACHE and page colouring

On Jul 10, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee> wrote:

> I have about the same (asus fx motherboard + 512K pipline burst cache in
> the form of a coast module).
>
> I don't know if it is direct-mapped or not - there is no documentation I
> can get my hands on. But it does help.

All current chip sets for Pentium class processors
support only a direct mapped secondary cache, AFAIK.

2-way or 4-way mapped caches on the motherboard were
common in the 386 days, and may have been supported
by some 486 chip set (I don't really know), but made
sense mostly because of the much smaller cache size
than common today.

Regards, STefan