Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:23:54 -0800
From:      Gordon Broom <gjbroom@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        ajs@labs.mot.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

Aron Silverton wrote:

> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     I had similar problems but reinstalling fontconfig did not do the trick.
> >     I also attempted to recompile and reinstall libXft, which didn't work,
> >     then recompiled mozilla from scratch... and that didn't work either.
> >     [...]
> >     Our ports system really sucks when it comes to managing very large
> >     ports like mozilla.
> >
> > 						-Matt
> > 						Matthew Dillon
> > 						<dillon@backplane.com>
>
> I had done a portupgrade -fR previously which is what really bothered
> me.  I probably wasted just as much time as you on getting this to work.
>   Perhaps in my situation Xft and the rest got build by the massive
> upgrade, but fontconfig didn't.  Fortunately it all seems to be working
> for the time being.
>
> Aron

I wish I had your luck, Aron.  I've rebuilt mozilla (using portupgrade -fR) at least 3 times (at ~3 hours a pop).  I've rebuilt Xft and fontconfig themselves, in the middle of all this, just in case there was some dependency that wasn't updated properly.  Yesterday I did a complete cvsup and installworld just in case there was some reliance on the underlying system, then rebuilt mozilla again.  Still no luck.  Both mozilla and mozilla-devel will just display "No matching window found" when I attempt to start them.

This all came around by attempting an upgrade of galeon from 1.2.7 to 1.2.8 after a recent cvsup of the ports tree.  Of course, galeon itself failed because there's a C++ error in the source code! Now the galeon that's still installed (because the portupgrade failed) claims that it was built against a different mozilla than what is there (which is true, because the mozilla updated, it just doesn't work), and promptly blows core whenever I try to do anything.

I'm now forced to surf the web using lynx on an xterm because nothing else works.  Netscape7 is verboten, linux-mozilla doesn't install because the version of linux-base I have is too new (presumably something else needed a newer one, who knows).

What a house of cards.  I'm frustrated and out of ideas.

Gord.

--
Gordon Broom
email: <gjbroom@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>