Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 95 10:51 MET
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        swallace@ece.uci.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken (proposal)

In pcs.freebsd.current you write:

>What is the big deal with ^H being erase?
>All you have to do is:
>  stty erease "^H"
>if you want your backspace to be delete/erase.

It's the deal that you know this and I know this. But there's people
out there who a) don't know it b) won't understand why the *default*
configuration of their system doesn't do the expected thing after being
freshly installed.

This will:

 - Generate quite a lot of questions that otherwise wouldn't happen
   as FreeBSD gets more widespread use from "end users"

 - Will have a number of people dismiss FreeBSD as being usable on
   the grounds of "They can't even make the BS key work properly".
   Things like these tend to be mentioned in magazines. Don't tell me
   you don't want people to use FreeBSD that would dismiss it on such
   weak grounds, it's entirely reasonable. What would you think about a
   VCR you bought in the States that you have to switch to NTSC from it's
   default PAL setting even though it came with a NTSC TV? Asking the
   producer, Grundig, a Eurpean firm, you'll get the answer that this was
   always the default and that they won't change it since there might be
   somebody who wants to hook it up to a PAL TV.

Folks, I thought we were trying to get FreeBSD recognized as a solid
operating system that's easy to install and use not only for the
knowledgeable kernel hacker.

Little things like this don't really say much about the actual
stability and quality of a product. But they are immediately visible
to the person who looks at something casually. We don't need any
negative publicity that can be avoided.

So I'll repeat it the third time, imagine the following two lines
being bright red:

   Make the system consistent. Make the *default* code generated by the
   BS key be the *default* erase character.

Joerg said that there's other console drivers than syscons that have
DEL generated by the BS key and that because of this the default erase
char shouldn't be changed. I thought one of the advantages of FreeBSD
over Linux was that there's a core team of people who set the standards.
So there, we *need* a standard about what the BS key should generate
*per default by the default console driver*. Then make the *default*
erase character be that code. If alternative console drivers don't
comply with this standard, though shit, they'll have to either change
their own *default* behaviour or tell people to modify their system when
they modify the *default* configuration to not use the *default*
console driver. Notice, how often I've highlighted the word *default*?
I think it's essential for FreeBSD to work reasonably in its default
configuration. Since everybody has the sources, one can hack the setup
as much as one likes if one wants something different.

So please, dear core team members, vote on it, fight over it, do
whatever you want, but lets have a bit of consistency here. It'll make
things much easier in the future.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org