Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 14:50:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        richard@pegasus.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bmcgloth@mail.vt.edu, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DAT for sure!

Scott Blachowicz stands accused of saying:

> > There were some problems with some Exabytes in the past, but that was a
> > *long* time ago.  And even back then they mostly worked.  Many of the
> > problems in the past were due to shakey device drivers -- but that's
> > because Exabytes go way back.
>
> I've heard those sorts of stories too, but I think they were about
> drives from 1991 or thereabouts. When I mentioned to someone that I
> was considering buying one, I got the definite recommendation to
> avoid the old ones.

Hmm.  I don't want to think how many EXB-8200's I've had my head
inside or that people I work with have worked on over the last ~5-6
years.

Lovingly cared for, under ideal conditions, they work well and are
generally quite reliable.  However add any _one_ of :
 - dust
 - heat
 - humidity
 - vibration
 - operator abuse
 - non-data tapes (ie. 8mm 'video 8' tapes)
and you're on a fast track to refurb heaven.  None of the basic
mechanical problems with the mechanism (the victim of all the above
problems) were ever addressed in the life of the product to any
appreciable degree.  The control/servo assembly is actually pretty
robust, but full of obscure logic parts (anyone want to comment on
where you'd go to buy a surface-mount 8T20D? 8), so repairs are
generally a board-swap proposition.  Having a few dead ones around
can improve your chances of a good swap 8)

You can get by with the 8mm video tapes if you clean your heads more
often, but that loses because cleaning is abrasive.  The problem with
video tapes is apparently a combination of the debris size (large) and
the crap binder that is used on these tapes.

We buy them regularly at auctions in the $40-$100 range, and for that
sort of price you're getting an OK deal.  I would _not_, however,
recommend one for a domestic environment, or as a major investment.