Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 00:26:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   upgrades, partitions, passwords and other light stuff

Greetings!

If this repeats a recent posting, bear with me, I'm not sure it got
sent as will become apparent.

Got my 2.2.1R CD and upgraded from 2.1.5. The new software is doing
well and is nice and stable - good job!

The upgrade itself was not the method I wanted though. I wanted to be
able to ftp from a second machine that has the CDROM in it, from the
drive itself. It runs windowsNT 3.5 (hey it was free, the guy wanted
me to buy it and finally gave it to me when I laughed) and I have it
connected via some NE2000 cards to the FreeBSD machine.

The freebsd and NT machines connect well enough for Netscape on the NT
side to browse the freebsd document database with Apache as the server.
Ftp also works both ways. What I cannot do is use /stand/sysinstall or
the boot floppy (freebsd install) to ftp directly to the CDROM. It will
go and get the package index as if you are going to install packages,
ports, etc. But gives the message "unable to fetch ..." when the
"install" button is clicked.

The only way the upgrade worked was to use the /dos partition on the
freebsd machine. I ftpd all the dists I needed there and ran the install.
I want to eliminate that partition and have only freebsd on that machine.

The install info and the documentation suggests I can also use a freebsd
file system as my upgrade source. The same machine as the upgrade target?
I have two drives in it with plenty of space on the second drive. It is
one file system called /usr2 (imaginative, yes?). Can I put all of the
dists there and point at it as the install source after repartitioning
(with whats best?) and using the boot floppy?

Any help with the ftp question would also be welcome as I would like an
alternative path.

The only real problem I had with the upgrade was that none of my passwords
worked after the upgrade!? I had to reinstall *and* reset the root password
to log on to the new operating system, then remove and readd all users.
the password files seemed to have been preserved by the upgrade but I do
not know what I missed to have no password work. Comments? (be nice)

OK, I'll shut up now. The team deserves a big bravo for really good work!
This is how it is supposed to work.

Thanks, John