Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 17:32:19 +0100
From:      "J. Jordana" <jord@gnawk.dial.eunet.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why FreeBSD doesn't like my primary slave HD?

I have:

Primary master:  Win 95 only  (1.7 GB)
primary slave:   Linux only (several Linux partitions) (3.5 GB)
Secondary master:  FreeBSD (1 slice with the usual partitions) (3.5 GB)

When I try to mount a Linux partition in wd1, then after about 10/15
seconds of trying to mount it (nice probing sounds coming too out of
the box), it finally mounts it. From then on I can move around the Linux
mounted slice without problem. Unmounting it is fast and silent.

I tried disklable from /stand/sysinstall (also 10/15 seconds trying something
- probably wd1- after launching /stand/sysinstall, before getting into the
menu screen !!) but when a configured one of the slices into a FreeBSD
system and did a 'W' I saw some very brief message saying something like:
'ufs_fs unexpected recursive lock'. The slice  got newfs'ed, but after
that I got a kernel panic. Now I have a FreeBSD slice at the end of wd1,
I can also mount to it, but always with the same painful probing and
delay.

Lock??. Why does wd1 takes 15 seconds in mounting? What is FreeBSD looking
for before mounting wd1 (or showing the /stand/sysinstall screen)??

Thanks for your help

--jj