Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:02:22 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Lawrence Mayer dsg <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cheap mb for 21264?

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 12:22:12PM +0200, Lawrence Mayer dsg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there are any inexpensive (e.g. $100 price range) (new
> or used) motherboards available that support the alpha 21264 CPU in the
> 1GHz range?

$100 ? Forget it. Really, that is not a realistic pricepoint for an EV6
box, let alone a 1GHz one. My best guess is that EV6 boxes run in the 1-2k$
price range. And bare boards (sans CPU I mean) were never produced AFAIK.

> I am a bit confused on the issue. I have read that the 21264 is pin
> compatible with the Athlon Socket A. Does that mean that every Athlon
> motherboard (such as an Athlon XP motherboard) automatically supports the
> 21264?

Absolutely not. Athlon uses (part of?) the EV6 bus design but that is about
it. AMD got a bunch of the Alpha chip designers inhouse now.