Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 20:09:09 +1100 (EST)
From:      Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        epamha@epa.ericsson.se, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X-inside CDE segfaulting all over the place

> From jkh@time.cdrom.com Tue Jan 21 19:55:42 1997
> To: Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
> cc: epamha@epa.ericsson.se, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, support@xinside.com
> Subject: Re: X-inside CDE segfaulting all over the place
> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 00:41:26 -0800
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> > PS It would be nice if all our X-packages defaulted to install in
> >    /usr/local instead of /usr/X11R6.  I will migrate them over in
> >    the next few days.
>
> Yikes!  No!
>
> There are very good reasons for them being there, most notably the
> application resource file issues.  Believe me, we've HAD this
> discussion many times and the final verdict was /usr/X11R6 for all X
> related stuff. :-)

The app-defaults is easy to fix:
setenv XFILESEARCHPATH /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N:\
                       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N
I'm sure you could even compile that into the X distribution
if wanted.

Otherwise what more needs to be done?  xmkmf would need to
be configured/cloned to allow one to use Imakefiles.

I can't see any other reasons to not seperate the core X11
distribution from the rest of the packages.

Regards/Mark