Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:34:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Install questions

The PLIP method is just like any ordinary install via the internet. Just make
sure that your 'server' has a ftpd running and the cd mounted in 'the righth
place' (i'm not sure where exactly, keep on trying). Anyway the plip can be
configured as 10.0.0.1 and your other machine as 10.0.0.2 (netmask
255.255.255.255 would do), then tell sysinstall to install from other site than
ftp.freebsd.org and put the servers' IP in here. In the options pane in
systinstall you can set a proper username to use when logging in (or tell ftpd
to accept user ftp, with any password).

I have done this. And I think I have described what I did... It was som time ago.

On 30-Jul-01 J. Seth Henry wrote:
> I saw a webpage a while back that described a PLIP install using the install
> floppies. However, when I tried to install to my Compaq LTE/486 - I noticed
> that the PLIP method was missing. I know the machine has a functioning
> printer port, set to the usual IRQ/port combination. I figure a custom
> kernel with a lot of trimming will be required, so I would like as fast a
> connection as possible for an NFS mount.

Don't bother trimming the kernel for the sake of NFS. It might be other good
reasons to have a small kernel if you only have 12M ram, though.

> Alternately, are there any Parallel Port -> Ethernet adapters that FreeBSD
> supports?
>
> The machine is, as stated, a Compaq LTE/486 with 12Mb of RAM, a 500Mb hard
> disk, and a 486DX processor. Will a minimal install fit on this machine, or
> should I look into picoBSD? The machine will largely be used for text
> editing and modem/serial communications - not heavy processing. In fact, I'm
> not even sure you can run X on this system.

It will more than enough for non-X stuff. I have a 486/50 w 8Megs RAM, slow at
boot but editing is no problems. Running X is a bit too slow to be enjoyable but
it can be done. Recompiling the world takes DAYS!! via NFS. I do not have more
than 300M harddisk so I left the sources on the 'server'. A better way is
actually compile on the server then just "make installworld" to the 486.

Cramming FreeBSD into everything is fun and good practice!! Do go on!

/Micke

Oh, and if you can remove the disk from the 486 and insert it into another
(faster) box you can do everything there and then put the disk back. Works like
a charm!