Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 00:14:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Eric Wayte <ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>
To:        Vaevictus Asmadi <vaevictus@socket.net>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEED BOOKS!!!

Go to http://oracle.oreilly.com and buy everything in sight.

Another great source are the books in the Oracle Press series from
McGraw-Hill:  http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm

As for personal recommendations, here goes:

From the Oracle Press,
Oracle8 DBA Handbook
Oracle8 Backup & Recovery Handbook
Oracle Performance Tuning: Tips & Techniques

From O'Reilly,
Oracle Database Administration
Oracle Performance Tuning, 2e.
Oracle Security

As you can probably gather, I think the most important areas for a DBA to
concentrate on are administration, backup/recovery, and tuning.

BTW, I'm an Oracle8 DBA on Solaris - I haven't tried to install Oracle8
for Linux on FreeBSD as I see enough of Oracle at work.

Eric Wayte, DBA
Univ. of Central Florida
ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu