Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2022 05:01:16 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Archimedes Gaviola <archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi 3B Slow Boot-up

On 2022-Mar-14, at 02:55, Archimedes Gaviola =
<archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the default config.txt file there is [pi4] line. If I'm going to =
remove this [pi4] line, the boot-up process is very slow. Slow in a =
sense that some extended time is observed as compared to the default. I =
already tested emphasizing the boot_delay=3D1 but to no avail. The =
reason why I removed it is because I want to change the settings of the =
HDMI display resolution as changes will not take effect with the [pi4] =
line in RPi 3B.
>=20
> With 14.0-CURRENT (February 24, 2022 snapshot) I have described my =
resolution here =
https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arm/2022-February/001070.html =
however with the latest 14.0-CURRENT (March 10, 2022 snapshot) it's no =
longer possible. Any idea what's going on?
>=20
> Below is the default config.txt and my current config.txt for =
reference.
>=20
> freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> [all]
> arm_64bit=3D1
> dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> kernel=3Du-boot.bin
>=20
> [pi4]
> hdmi_safe=3D1
> armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin
>=20
> freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> [all]
> arm_64bit=3D1
> dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> kernel=3Du-boot.bin
>=20
> hdmi_group=3D2
> hdmi_mode=3D11
> armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin

armstub8-gic.bin is specific to the BCM2711 and will not
work for the RPi3, as I understand.

armstub=3Darmstub8.bin is the default and is what was being
used for the RPi3 when the [pi4] was in place.

You have the option of listing a [pi3] section last
(after the [pi4] section). To have a [pi3] section
be last, it should have an explicit
armstub=3Darmstub8.bin line.

Listing older RPi* models last is done because some older
RPi models ignore the [] notation and listing things last
overrides earlier assignments, in this case overriding
assignments for newer models. It is a safe notational
ordering convention, even for models that do support
the [] notation sufficiently.

If one depended on RPi3 models processing [] notation,
if it does, then another option would have been to move
the [rpi4] line to be just before the
armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin line, causing the RPi3 to skip
the assignment and use the default.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com