Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:09:32 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Adam William Hawks <root@pent.vnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xboard broken?

Hi,

> I just installed the xboard port and it compiled fine and installed without a problem.
> But when I tried to run it it said it couldn't find gnuchessx. I tried a symbolic link
> to /usr/games/chess but it didn't like that either. Should this port also build the
> gnuchess program?

I don't know the answer to this, but I found that gnuchess would coredump
quickly
when built from the prep.ai.mit distribution.  GDB showed ridiculous values
appearing
in the register variables.

To get  it to run reliably I had to:

 1: remove the -O2 flag ( optimization ) from the makefile

 2: remove all "register" references by "#define register   " in a header file
(I forget
     which one, no longer have the modified source here).  when compiled, one
file
     complains about this because the 'int' was implied (missing) from the
register
     declaration.  just modify the header, build, go to the ERROR point, and
add 'int'
     after 'register' and recompile.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by