Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:21:38 +0500
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Isdn docs

I've had to read the ISDN documentation lately, and I would like to put
forth my opinion on them.

Looking at the ISDN chapter in the handbook, talks about all sorts of
internal hardware, and a pointer to the ppp section for external TAs.
This is fine, but one thing that was not immediately clear to me was if
PPP was the only thing I needed to muck around with to make ISDN go
(with my TA). Possilby a sentence like:
-->
If you have an external isdn modem (technincally a "Terminal Adapter"),
stop reading this chapter now and go read the ppp section. As far as
freebsd is concerned, an ISDN TA is just another modem, and can be
configured as such. If you have an internal PCI or ISA isdn card, read
on.
<-- at the beginning of the chapter.

Likewise, a similar message in LINT telling people not to bother
including any of the isdn stuff if you have an external TA. (some of
which are imho marked rather misleadingly as "mandatory".

Do correct me if I have assumed wrong. I've based my conclusions on the
fact that most posts about external TAs on -isdn seem to get a "This has
nothing to do with -isdn, take it to -questions" type response.

Oh, and I remember a bit that went something like "most people prefer to
use kernel ppp instead of the userland iij-ppp". I believe it was in the
ISDN chapter, or was it in the ppp section? I forget, sorry. Anyway,
this question seems to run contratry to the current trend wrt kernel vs
user ppp, and I believe that "iij-ppp"'s fuctionality is now achieved
with the base system's user ppp?

Again, do correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

PS. For the record, I have not yet been able to get my TA to connect
properly. It connects, but right after authenticating successfully, says
no carrier found, and drops the connection. Maybe the TA: section in
ppp.conf.sample needs a look as well :).