Date:      05 Sep 1996 16:25:19 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth) writes:

> If I misunderstand their position, I wish that someone would state a
> MINIMAL set of things that I would have to demonstrate to satisfy the
> "prototype" requirement sufficiently to allow me to start removing the
> roadblocks that are throughout the system.

Umm, well can we start this thread again on a more technical basis.

A good place to start would be to list the current shortcomings that
people have with the current build system, work out a new design that
solves them and finally come up with a solution that can be
incrementally implemented so as not to make the system unusable at any
stage.

Each stage can then be prototyped and incorporated without requiring
the all singing-all dancing implementation to be prototyped from
scratch and all in one go. People may get a better idea of the purpose
of the changes if they're done in stages, phased development is
generally the best way I find to move people towards a goal that they
don't appreciate from the outset.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155