Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:49:31 -0400
From:      Hank Kuczynski <C-Kuczynski@mail.dec.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IP routing?

Hi there.  I'm a potential FreeBSD user... but I've got a few questions before I dedicate a machine to it.

Currently I've got a small home lan consisting of 5 machines in total.  One NT server, three Win95 Machines and a 486/66 that I plan on using for FreeBSD as an IP routing machine.

My connection to the internet is via my NT server with a cable modem that has been dynamically assigned an IP address from their side.  However, my IP address rarely changes.  I've had the same one for four months now.

I am running an NT proxy server and have had good success at getting my machines to be able to use netscape to surf the web... however, my main goal is to be able to do direct IP addressing... IE be able to ping another host directly from one of my Win95 machines going through my NT server.

If you hadn't guessed by now, my goal here is to be able to play Quake and other internet games that can't negotiate a proxy server from my other win95 machines....

Can FreeBSD help me in this situation?  Would I be better off with Linux?  I've heard of people being able to do this successfully with Linux in the past.

Let me know!

Thanks very much.

-Hank Kuczynski