Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:28:38 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NetBSD package system features

> For one thing, it has more "make" targets.  Has anyone looked into
> incorporating these?  Here are some noteworthy examples.  For more
> info, see <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/Packages.txt>;
>
>  * update:
>    This target causes the current package to be updated to the latest
>    version.  The package and all depending packages first get
>    deinstalled, then current versions of the corresponding packages
>    get compiled and installed.  This is similar to manually noting
>    which packages are currently installed, then performing a series of
>    "make deinstall" and and "make install" (or whatever DEPENDS_TARGET
>    is set to) for these packages.

This target scares me.  Why?  It is not uncommon to find an
improperly-designed port in which the deinstall target *removes*
configuration files.  On a production system, this can be disastrous.

(Case in point - I once did a 'make deinstall install' of my installed
Apache+SSL+FP port a long while ago.  Unfortunately it axed the config file
(40 individually-configured vhosts and a whole whack of custom rewrite
rules).  Luckily I had a few hours to spare and recreated the config from
memory. (Yes, there was a backup - but on an offline tape in another city.)

For an inexperienced sysadmin, going into the root of the ports tree and
saying "make update" would be a real neat thing to do, but it could end up
trashing configurations and install versions of programs which among other
things expect different configuration files and/or do things quite
differently.  (For example, cyrus-1.5.x vs cyrus-1.6.x.  Or different
releases of cyrus-sasl 1.5.x.)

Perhaps I'm overreacting, but the ability for an 'update' target to work
properly requires the semantics of the currently-intalled packages to not
differ from the to-be-installed packages.  In many cases, this is simply not
the case.

--
Matt Emmerton