Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:37:01 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Apple]RE: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

At 1:12 PM -0700 6/16/01, Bzdik BSD wrote:

>  What do you make of the chipset? I think it's a bit outdated and they
>  could benefit tremendously from the power of PPC CPU if they catch up
>  on this one.

	Just what are you talking about?  Apple is already using the PPC
CPU -- just what benefit do *you* expect them to achieve if they
continue to use it?

	Myself, I see that IBM is clearly one of the most innovative
companies in the business of chip fabrication (witness their
ground-breaking achievements with silicon-on-insulator, and the
recent announcement regarding strained silicon), and they are clearly
committed to remaining a world leader in this respect.

	Indeed, of all the other companies in the business, it would seem
to me that it is Intel that is starting to show signs of serious
signs of cracking under pressure, what with all their problems
launching Merced/IA-64 (just how many years have we been talking
about this?), the fact that they were forced to come out with the
Pentium 4 (yeah, I think they do need an "IV" ;-) to try and deal
with the resulting shortfall, and the fact that re-worked versions of
the older Pentium III chip are outperforming it, too.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */