Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 05:28:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: optional 'make release' speed-up patch

> Hi,
>
>    The following patch to /usr/src/release/Makefile allows the
> specification of the variable FASTCLEAN, which instead of doing
> a recursive rm on CHROOTDIR, simply umounts/newfs/mounts. Of
> course, this is only useful if your CHROOTDIR location is a
> separate mount point (which mine is: /snap).
>
>    Comments and critiques welcome.
>
>    Would someone consider committing this please?

This patch scares me a little.  FASTCLEAN should at a minimum
be set to some value, like "NEWFS" (and probably something a bit more
descriptive) before it goes around re-making file systems.
I would hate to see my file system wiped out just because
I have the "FASTCLEAN" environment variable set for some other
application, and didn't intend for "make release" to use it.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net