Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:12:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Mike (mlbsd)" <mlistbsd@icorp.net>, mike@rohms.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Terminal snafu in 2.1.5 and 2.2.2 gripes

On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 09:45:14PM -0600, Mike (mlbsd) wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a PPro 200 Intel system.  I have a little
> problem in that during boot-up, if I don't repeatedly hit "ScrollLock", the
> console will freeze and the only way to access the system is remotely.  I
> narrowed this down to some bug in the virtual terminal software - my
> question is - is there a way to disable this "feature" from the
> boot/start-up process?  Is there an upgrade?  Can I load the virtual
> terminal process manually later?  Is it configured in the Kernel?  I'd
> prefer to not have to re-compile the kernel since I haven't done that
> before and I'm otherwise happy with the system's performance.

The virtual terminals are what you talk to.  Even if you only have one
of them, you have them.  By default, you have the sc driver, but you
can change to vt if you think this would make a difference.  Look in
this part of the config file:

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
options		XSERVER			# support for running an X server.
options		FAT_CURSOR		# start with block cursor
# This PCVT option is for keyboards such as those used on IBM ThinkPad laptops
options		PCVT_SCANSET=2 		# IBM keyboards are non-std

# The syscons console driver (sco color console compatible) - default.
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options		MAXCONS=16		# number of virtual consoles
options		SLOW_VGA		# do byte-wide i/o's to TS and GDC regs
options		"STD8X16FONT"		# Compile font in
makeoptions	"STD8X16FONT"="cp850"
options		SC_HISTORY_SIZE=200	# number of history buffer lines

Personally, I suspect some latent hardware problem.  If you have built
your own kernel, this could conceivably be a kernel build problem, but
I can't even hazard a guess where.

> This is a pretty generic system set up (Intel VS-440 PPro system with 64MB
> Ram, Adaptec 2940uw, Seagate Barricudas, 3Com 3c509).  I recently purchased
> FreeBSD 2.2.2 and was dismayed to find that the damn thing wouldn't
> recognize my SCSI CD-ROM.  I could boot to the CDROM but after
> installation, the OS wouldn't recognize the drive!!  I was in a critical
> situation and needed to get the system back online so I threw 2.1.5 back
> online.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here.  This is definitely not
standard behaviour.  You don't say what your CD-ROM is, but I haven't
heard of any problems with any SCSI CD-ROM, and the Adaptec 2940 is
also well-known and used.  How do you determine that the OS doesn't
recognize it?

> From my perspective, 2.2.2 sucks - I don't understand why 2.1.5
> installs perfectly and 2.2.2 doesn't - I'd expect the list of
> supported hardware to increase NOT decrease - but anyway, that's
> another gripe for another time.

I think that this says more about your perspective than 2.2.2.

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - if at all possible, e-mail
> replies: mike@rohms.com

If you want people to reply to a specific address, you should put it
in a Reply-to: header, which is much more reliable than hoping people
will read this part of the message.

Greg